Who We Are
Garmong Construction offers nearly a century of construction experience and over 1,000,000 man-hours of grit in our wrinkles (wrinkles we’re proud of), as well as an innovative spirit (ammunition boxes during WWII…more on that later), and today we are one of the leading Construction Management companies in Indiana. Design-Build and General Contracting services are second nature to us as well. We remain family-owned (fourth generation, with more on that later too), and have offices in Terre Haute, Evansville and Indianapolis (ranked twice within the past five years as one of the Top 25 fastest growing companies by the Indianapolis Business Journal).
Now, back to family generations and ammunition boxes…
Born in a log-cabin in 1881, Claude H. Garmong quit school in the sixth grade to get a job working for a rail company in Terre Haute. Claude eventually married Henrietta Block, a German-born immigrant, and settled in Indiana.
In 1923, Claude did what great American entrepreneurs do best- started his own company; beginning with building the American Dream, one house at a time, in Terre Haute, Indiana. In the blink of an eye, Garmong was a major player in the housing development market in Terre Haute, establishing subdivision plans for Edgewood Grove, located on the city’s east side.
Years later, when World War II turned the nation’s attention away from the booming housing market, Garmong saw yet another opportunity to contribute to the greater good by converting his construction operation into a munitions box depot. These ammunition boxes were ultimately shipped overseas by the US military and used to efficiently encase and transport ammunition.
While not completing his own education, Claude understood the growing importance of sending his son, Karl, to college at Rose Polytechnic Institute. Being artistic, Karl was the first Architectural Engineering graduate (1931) from the school. He joined his father’s company in 1935 and started the concept of designing and building commercial projects, using his training from Rose Poly. Schools, gas stations and churches were the company’s main focus until 1974.
Karl Garmong expanded the company by patenting the original wood casement window, manufactured in what is now one of Garmong’s warehouses. Garmong’s son-in-law, Kenneth Hannum (1956 Rose graduate), joined the firm as an industrial engineer and changed the market to commercial and manufacturing projects. In 1989, David Hannum (1981 Rose-Hulman graduate) joined the firm to continue the evolution within the family. He is the first third-generation graduate in Rose-Hulman history.
Under David’s leadership, the company has added full service engineering and architectural design; design-build capability of large industrial projects; and financing and development capabilities of commercial and industrial projects.